Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Sister is going to kill me

R and I are actually going to kill each other. I came out here to help her move and I think if I hadn't she would have had a nervous breakdown. Her husband left without really finishing help her wrap things up. She and he thought that they were close enough to done, but there was so much still to do. Before I flew out, R told me that she was only taking the essentials with her and so they would easily fit in a Uhaul trailer and the rest of there stuff was going in a Podz and that it had already been packed.

When I got here, there was still enough stuff in the apartment to fill 1000 cubic feet, but it didn't look like quite that much because it was spread throughout the apartment. She showed my one closet that she said was everything that was going in the Uhaul. The closet is about 6 feet by 8 feet and was stacked up 3/4 of the way to the ceiling. I asked how high the trailer was and she told me that it was about 8 feet high. When I asked her if she was sure, she said she thought so and asked me how high I thought it would be. I told her four feet high. It turns out it is 3 1/2 feet high. So everything that was left needed to fit in 112 cubic feet. I kept trying to point that out, but she kept responding that I was stressing her out and not to be so critical. After a lot of hassel, I convinced her to put quite a bit of it in the remaining space in the pod, but right now Little Miss and I are waiting for the Uhaul and I think we have at least 200 cubic feet of stuff, if not more, left. She thinks we'll be able to fit more than I think in the car, but we'll have to see.

I would not call R high maintenance, but she is certainly closer to high maintenance than low maintenance (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=high+maintenance using definitions 2 and 3). She told me that there was nothing that she was taking that she wouldn't have to buy again if she left it behind. These essentials included a white christmas tree, a box of dress up clothes for Little Miss, a 122 quart container filled with purses, and an extra box of shoes for Little Miss, of which some she has already outgrown in addition to a bunch of other things. R would point out that I'm on the extreme end of frugal and she is right, but I still think that even medium maintenance people would acknowledge my view at least somewhat.

On top of the packing issues when I get into her car it is making this strange clicking sound. R tells me this is the brake caliber and do I know how to tighten it. I not only don't know how, I have never even heard of a brake caliber and ask if she is sure that is what it is called. Anyway, R tells me that she needs to take the car for an oil change and it turns out that she hasn't had one in 10,000 miles. My car is a few miles overdue and I've been stressing about getting it done. I can't even imagine doing this, though I know she had done it before and gotten away with no problems, but it kind of freaks me out a little bit. We take the car for the oil change and they point out that the car's tires are completely bald, so all four tires have now been replaced. Needless to say, my confidence in the car is slightly shaken. I'm really worried that something is going to happen on the way back.

My sister says that my heart is in the right place, but you never know where my mouth is going to be. She's upset with me about being to critical and stressing her out more, but this whole thing is completely stressful and if I hadn't harped on it, there would not have been additional stuff added to the Pod. I hope that she is right that it will all fit in the Uhaul but I have serious doubts about it. Right now, I'm still glad I came because I can't imagine that she could have done this with no help, but I'm wondering if we are still going to be speaking to each other by the time we get back to Texas.

AAAAAaaaarrrrrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I don't think I would have had your patience, and I can tell you're pulling your hair out! Good luck! Treat yourself to a stiff drink after it's all said and done. :D

    ReplyDelete