Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sewing Magazines

I'm not impressed with the two regular sized Burdas that I have received. I just received my second one (04/2011) and I liked the one Burda Plus so much more than either of the two separate ones.

I am, however, very pleased with the April/May 2011 edition of Threads. So much was in this magazine to love. The design contest had one designer that made a coat for a homeless person that folded into a pillow and zipped up into a sleeping bag. If I had a pattern for it, I would totally be making these to donate to the shelters. There was also an article on taking a single dress pattern and turning it stylistically into four very different dresses. There was an article on various ways to sew sheers such as layering them for effect and another on the basics of underlining. I even really like the Reader's Closet pictures.

In regards to my own sewing, I finished my sister's quilt and gave it to her. It was supposed to be done for Christmas, but every time I had a moment to work on the binding, it seemed the power went out. A treadle machine is looking better and better to me all the time. I'm not sure why the power in our house goes out so much. I've lived in well over 20 different homes and I've never experienced power outages like I've had here. I'm started cutting out view E of McCall's m5661, the same pattern as the one I just made but with the puffy sleeves, but I'm pretty tired and I ended up cutting one of the facing pieces out with the arm side matched to the fold. It's easy to cut out the piece again, but instead of working on it, I'm going to head to bed and try again when I'm more rested.

Thank you to all who donated to Lera's fund. She is fully funded now. It was a great accomplishment timed perfectly for World Down Syndrome Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment