Monday, December 24, 2012

Grandpa's Quilt

Every year I make one person a big gift.  This year was the year of Q's great grandpa.  I felt like I had a great idea and last year I asked everyone to send me profile pictures that I could turn into silhouettes and have all his kids, grandkids, and great grandchildren on a quilt.  I gave them three months so that I would have time to turn them into silhouette's and applique them all on.  Unfortunately, only my SIL and myself could be bothered to snap a couple of shots in three months time, so I did something that I really hated to do and bought a quilt kit.

I think the end quilt came out beautiful and I feel like I succeeded in making something that he will really like (based on the fact that my FIL really likes it).  I spent a lot of time making sure everything was perfect and the top was so neat and flat that the quilt top looked like cheater's cloth. The center is a panel and the borders are pieced onto the panel.

Here is a closeup of the quilting.

And the back.  I used to be afraid of doing a huge contrast in thread to the fabric because any flaw shows, but my quilting has gotten good enough that I don't feel that I need to worry about it anymore.

And the final quilt (74" x 52").

I just finished it and Q is currently wrapping it.  I'm so happy to have it done in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment