Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My bear cub benefits

I am thankful of all the things that are available to my bear cub. I'm grateful for ECI. I'm especially grateful for her old therapy team, who I feel did so much for her. I'm glad that I live in a time period where no one has tried to get me to give her up to an institution. I'm so happy to have 'Signing Times' because there is no doubt in my mind that she would not be using 30+ signs (I stopped counting) at 19 months if we did not have that. I'm glad that there are laws protecting my daughter's rights to inclusion in school and other places. There are, of course, a lot of places with vast room for improvement, but I am aware of all sorts of things that benefit her (and the people that love her) to be thankful for.

I'm also really glad to be in San Antonio. There are so many people here that are having children with Down syndrome and there are many, many more that have grown up knowing someone with it. I have seen very little prejudice against her in real life (except for the 'R' word). I'm so happy to live in a place where life is valued so much more than it seems it is in the rest of the US and world. I've read hundreds of birth stories and none were as good as mine. I did not encounter anyone in the hospital that showed anything less accepting of the bear cub than they did of the nerdlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment