Monday, May 16, 2011

Fruits and Veggies

There is a company called Greenling in Austin that delivers fresh fruit and vegetables to your door. In most cases, these are organic and local. They also deliver chemical free meats and eggs and other locally made items like snacks and baby food. They deliver once a week and route it to use the least consumption of gas and have calculated that they use 86% less fuel than customers would driving to and from the grocery store.

I've been really jealous of this since I found out about it, which was after I moved to San Antonio. I recently discovered that they now deliver to my zip code. They have an item called a local box which they select the best value of the freshest in season items from local farms which is what I ordered for the week. I only ordered it for this week, but it is possible that I may set it up as an automatic weekly order. My delivery is tomorrow and I'm inordinately excited about it. I actually dreamed about it last night.

This is what is supposed to be in my box tomorrow:
Fiesta Beets - Tecolote
Herb - Pure Luck
Green Beans - Acadian Family Farm
Summer Squash- Texas Natural
Shallots - Green Gate Farms
Salad Mix - My Father's Farm
Heirloom Tomato - Bluebonnet Hydroponic
Sweet Potatoes - Homestead Farms
Kale - Texas Natural
Mango - G&S Groves
Also, they include recipes for each item in the box.

It is a good thing that Tuesday is a busy day for me or I'd likely be sitting at the window watching for the truck all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment