Thursday, June 13, 2013

Star Wars Shrinky Dink Buttons

Remember Q's star wars shirt?  When he wore it into work, he apparently got a comment about it needing Star Wars buttons.  When I tried to find them online, the only kinds of buttons I could find are the pin on your shirt type of buttons.  So I decided I needed to make them.  I considered polymer clay, but I wasn't sure that I'm up for 3D types of buttons.  I ended up going with Shrinky Dinks.

As part of Q and my date night last night, I dragged him to Jo-Ann's and used my coupon to buy blank shrinky dinks and a 1.5 inch fiskar hole punch because the wise people on the internet said that they shrink to 1/3 of the size and I was looking for 1/2 inch buttons.  I don't advise if you try this yourself that you waste your money on the hole punch as we could not get it to punch the shrinky dink out.  I would trace around a 1.5 inch washer or something.  On a small kids sheet, I could get 15 1.5 inch disks.

Then I found a sheet of Star Wars drawings that I planned to trace here.  Apparently my printer is out of ink and the ink I used to replace it was the wrong type so I ended up having to freehand it.  I just drew them with pencil and colored them in with colored pencils.
They didn't come out as nicely as I wanted, but they aren't too bad, especially considering that I planned for the first ones to just be a trial.

I used a 1/4 inch hole puncher to punch the button holes and placed them on a foil lined sheet.


Then I popped them in the preheated oven.  Supposedly, they are supposed to bake for 1-3 minutes, but it took over five for them to lay flat.

I think they came out pretty well.


I'll let you know how they do after going through the wash a few times...you know after I sew another Star Wars shirt for Q.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was pretty fun, too. They look better from the other side. I'll have to see if I can get some good pictures.

      Delete