Tuesday, March 1, 2011

5 Medical-ish Things

The hardest thing I ever had to do was hand my bear cub over to the doctors for her heart surgery. I was so scared that she wasn't going to make it or have every complication that they had informed me was a possibility.

I've never had surgery or even been put under.

I had an appendix attack at 17 and ended up in the hospital but didn't have it removed. Some doctors now doubt that that is what it was since it didn't rupture. My dad had a similar attack at 25 and my mother authorized exploratory surgery for him so he is now missing his appendix, gall bladder, and anything else that doctors deemed unnecessary at the time. His dad also had a similar attack in his late twenties though I don't know what the result was.

I likely had a severe case of hypothyroidism for years before it was detected. It was diagnosed at 10, but at that time I weighed less than 50 pounds and very short. My mother said that I slept the two weeks after I was born without ever waking up and I was still sleeping more than 12 hours a day in sixth grade. Throughout elementary school (and really even later) I would often come home and take a nap. I also wore turtlenecks year round from very young because I was cold all the time and because the kids at school would call me bullfrog due to the goiter in my neck.

Whenever I see anyone in scrubs in public, I think that at some point in time they have possibly had their hand up someone's butt and maybe fairly recently. I usually avoid them.

1 comment:

  1. "Whenever I see anyone in scrubs in public, I think that at some point in time they have possibly had their hand up someone's butt and maybe fairly recently. I usually avoid them."

    LOL I will never look at someone in scrubs the same again.

    ReplyDelete