Thursday, March 5, 2015

Cell Phone Arm Band

I finally upgraded from a dumb phone to a smart phone.  Those that know me know how long I resisted doing this.  I've had it less than a week and decided that I really needed to utilize the mobile music aspect of it.  So without any research as to what was available I decided to make myself an armband for running around with.

I have this pretty swimsuit material and decided to use it because my other sports types of fabric are in the garage and it is really cold outside today.

I measured my lower arm (a) and the height of my cell phone (b) and cut a rectangle a x 2.5b (so two and a half times the height of my phone by the width of my arm).  Next time I will make this slightly smaller.  I didn't this time because there is 2 1/2 inch difference between my upper arm and lower arm and I was afraid of cutting off the circulation of my arm.  I won't cut off much, maybe 1/2 inch because it looks like it is going to work as is pretty well.  I serged down the height of the fabric.

Then I used the coverstitch machine to hem both sides.  If you don't have a coverstitch machine, zigzag the hem up.


Next, I folded it over so that the inner front came up to the top of the cell phone and let the upper front fall where it landed.

Then I drew a line in white where the cell phone would fit.

I sewed in the ditch of the seam and again at that line.

I punched a hole in the top big enough for the ear piece to go in.  I did it at the half way point.  For the next one, I will place it over the actual hole which is nowhere near the middle.

When I was done, I decided to look up how much these things cost and they are inexpensive.  I'm going to try this one out and if it works well, I'll make some more, but I might buy one for comparison, but this one seems to be super comfortable.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I have never seen one of these before. Beautiful fabric. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the commercial ones look quite a bit different and not near as comfortable. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=arm+band+cell+phone+holder&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=35010244644&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7979842507942908262&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_ye0pvq6yo_b

      Delete