Sunday, October 30, 2011

Unicorn Costume

The nerdlet just had to be a purple unicorn for Halloween this year. I looked for a costume and almost all the costumes were for the girl riding the unicorn and were a little out of my price range. So I ended up being conned into making one. It still needs hemming which I will do today, but I thought I'd post the preview.




The costume is from McCall's 4618, which is a pattern for toddler costumes for cats and other animals. I made it from a stretchy polyester knit which I now despise. The mane is yarn that I sewed to grosgrain ribbon and then sewed the ribbon to the back of the costume. The horn is a toilet paper roll that I cut up and paper mached. I was going to paint it but my mother brought me what she said was gesso but turned out to be glue. I ended up covering the horn in gold duct tape and then glitter and shoving it through a hole in a makeshift headband.



1 comment:

  1. Aw, so cute, though!! A lot of work, but I'm sure she'll love getting to be a purple unicorn. :) She's lucky to have a crafty mom that can make her Halloween dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete