Saturday, October 6, 2012

Ottobre 4/2012 - Young Hero

I made the bear cub a biker jacket!  I've always wanted to make one of them a biker jacket, but I hadn't seen a pattern and I never got around to drafting one myself.  Lucky for me, Ottobre decided to do it for me.


I made the size 98 and shortened the sleeves by an inch.  I may have to shorten them more, but I sent off Q with the girls for the weekend, so I didn't have her to try it on.  The main fabric is a faux leather from JoAnn's.  It should be plenty warm for the San Antonio winter, but it is also large enough for her to wear it over several layers.

I also made my first welt pockets and put a zipper in the welt.  this was so much fun to do.  I'm not sure why I have been afraid of welt pockets.

Here is a view of my topstitching.  I used a heavy pink thread.  I wanted to add just a touch of feminine to the jacket.  I don't use the pedal when I sew because I can turn the machine on and off with a button and I turned down the speed almost all the way for the topstitching.

And another view with the zipper unzipped a little and the flap open.  I didn't add the final snap that the pattern asked for because I did't really see the point (and I may have been a little afraid to mess up the jacket after all the hard work).

1 comment: