Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Ottobre 6-2011-3 Take 4

There is a great Ottobre sweater pattern for babies that I made for the bear cub three times at the beginning of last year.  Here and here are the two posts.  The sweaters that I made for her were the largest size of the pattern a 92 (which is roughly a size 2 toddler).  Since the bear cub has jumped two growth curves so far this year, I needed to make it significantly larger.

It's a five piece pattern, consisting of the front, back, sleeve, collar, and cuff.  I added 1/2 inch to the center width to all five pieces.  I also added 1/2 to the length of the arm hole and another half inch to the length for the front, back, and sleeve pieces.  I was a little worried about the amounts, but it seemed to be the right amount and here is the resulting sweater.  The only thing that I might change is the width of the sleeve cuff, and if I do, I will have to adjust the width of the sleeve opening also because I had to stretch the cuff to capacity to fit the sleeve.

The sweater fabric is a very thin silk sweater fabric that I got in a Fabric Mart mystery bundle.  The lining is a simple off-white cotton knit from Jo-Anne's.  I love this sweater pattern and since the bear cub doesn't have very many warm clothes and is very sensitive to temperature extremes, I will be making a number of them in the near future (a few less tunic length since I'm remaking some adult sweaters and am limited in the length).  I will be also trying this on the nerdlet to see what further changes I will need to make to the pattern to make the new pattern fit her.

This pattern can be very confusing especially to new sewists and when originally looking for reviews, I remember that practically no one was lining it because of it, so I will try to post a tutorial on how to make it so that no seams are rubbing against the child wearing it when it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment