Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Bear Cub's Signs

I made a list of the signs that I've seen the bear cub use. I may have forgotten some.

again
all done
apple
aunt
baby
ball
banana
bath
bear
bird
book
car
cat
cereal
cheese
chicken
clean
cookie
cracker
dad
dance
dog
down
drink
eat
extra
finished
fish
flower
fold clothes
go
grandma
grandpa
hat
help
ice cream
I love you
jump
like
me
milk
mom
more
music
pet
play
please
potty
rain
shoes
sign
soap
socks
special
spider
stars
thank you
time
train
up
walk
wash hands
water
yeah
you

Potty training was going fairly well after almost three weeks and we were having two or fewer accidents a day and most of those were pee accidents. Then I decided to take her to the National Down Syndrome Congress Convention on Saturday and after four accidents, I put her in a cloth diaper. I didn't take her on Sunday, but my husband and mom had her in a diaper that day, too. If I had known, I would have just put her in a diaper and taken her with me. She's been back in panties since Monday, but is obviously having a hard time with going back to using the potty. We're not having any poop accidents, which I'm really glad about, but I'm a little frustrated with how many pee accidents we're having. I may have to go back to taking her every 10 minutes, but right now I'm resisting the idea as I don't want to feel like I'm spending the day in the bathroom again. Also, even though she uses the sign potty, she doesn't use it to tell me she has to go. She's still doing fairly well, but I hate that we've back stepped a bit.

She does have the routine down though. She will get up after she is done and play with the toilet paper if I don't have some handy. She can't get it off by herself so she'll just unroll it a bit. Then she'll climb the steps to wash her hands. She'll stretch to turn the water, but she's a bit short and will actually scrub her hands once I put soap on them. The hand washing is the best reward for her actually going and she gets upset when she hasn't gone and I don't let her wash her hands.



No comments:

Post a Comment