Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

One of my fellow mommies of a child with Ds posted a recipe for a pizza crust made of cauliflower.  My niece is super picky and loves pizza so I thought that maybe I would use this to get her to eat something without a hassle during her weekly visit.  I also was super curious about how you could possibly make something like cauliflower into a pizza crust.

First, I took a fresh head of cauliflower and shoved as much of it as I could into my microwave vegetable steamer for 5 minutes on full power.  This resulted in fully cooked cauliflower that wasn't mushy at all.  I put that in the food processor and pulsed it until it was uniform and small.  I used 2 cups worth (double the recipe).

 Then I added 2 cups of shredded cheese and 2 eggs and mixed them together in the food processor.  I only had a colby jack mix in the house so that is what I went with.

I spread it in my 14 inch deep dish pan and sprinkled italian seasoning and garlic powder on it and baked it for 15 minutes in my oven that was preheated to 450 degrees.

This is what is looked like when it came out.  It actually looks pretty solid.

I spread pizza sauce on the crust and sprinkled cheese and toppings.  Because my niece is super picky, this is what I went with, but when I make this in the future, it will have a lot more toppings.
 I put it back in the oven at 450 degrees until the cheese was melted and bubbly.  I might try and leave it a little longer next time.

The verdict?  It smells great and all four of the little girls here loved it.  The drama princess, my niece, told me that I could make it for her every week when she visits.  Darth Baby ate two servings.  I think it was a little weird for me but edible.  The crust wasn't a real crust and was more like squished together couscous in texture and taste, but it held together on a fork even if you couldn't lift it and eat it like a pizza.  Considering the difference in healthiness I will definitely be making it for them again (even if not the once a week requested.

A picture of the happy four at the zoo this morning.

1 comment:

  1. Very, very, very interesting...hmmm...wonder if my super-picky child will take to it... It's worth a try! Thanks for posting that!

    ReplyDelete