Monday, June 13, 2011

Audrey's Day at the Beach

Saturday, Q and I took the bear cub and the nerdlet to Audrey's Day at the Beach, a meeting in Rockport of families with children or relatives with Down syndrome. We wanted to do this last year and the year before but family things kept us from going this year. We actually missed my nephew's eagle scout meeting to go this year and almost cancelled it again, and although it was a difficult decision for us, we decided that it was important for us to spend a day celebrating the bear cub's extra special chromosome with like families.

I often say that every family should have a child with Down syndrome. This trip really brought this feeling to a point. It was so wonderful seeing almost every family around you being blessed by trisomy 21. There were people on the beach that were not apart of our group. About 20 feet from us was one such family. The mother was smoking and the father was yelling at the two kids about how to properly build the sand castle to hold water. The two kids were working hard trying to please their dad. Watching them I kept thinking that there family was missing something, and to me it was obvious what it was.

The bear cub had a blast. She kept waiting for us to turn our backs and each time she did this.

We got to see dolphins, all kinds of birds, and George Strait's home.

Q and I spent a lot of time in the sand digging holes and making arches, which the girls loved.



On the way to and from the beach we got to see the wind farm in Sinton, TX, which I though was just beautiful and I couldn't get pictures that really captured the beauty of it. I would love to see these around my city all the time.

It really was a great trip and I hope to be able to take my family again in future years.

No comments:

Post a Comment