Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Indoor Plumbing

I'm grateful for indoor plumbing, so very grateful for indoor plumbing.  My mother grew up poor.  I'm not talking about living just-below-the-poverty-line poor either.  She has said things like they weren't that poor, the neighbors were really poor, because really poor people had to eat pigeon, and whenever anyone brought  them pigeon to eat, they gave it to the neighbors.  She was, however, poor enough to have to share an outhouse with those neighbors.  There are a lot of reasons to be appreciative of having extra income, and I'm aware of a lot more of them than the average person because of my mom's stories (and also because I've seen the 'home' that she grew up in, but today I'm especially appreciative or indoor plumbing.  I sort of have a reason for being grateful for the fact that I don't have to go far to use a bathroom right now, but I won't go into that.

No comments:

Post a Comment