Tuesday, May 14, 2013

My Tiramisu

I ordered the Tiramisu dress pattern after reading about it on a ton of blogs and most recently Moonthirty wrote that she made it without alterations and it fit her perfectly.  It came really fast after my ordering of it and I moved everything out of my sewing area so that I could give it a shot.

I had a lot more problems with it and my first rendition did not come out so beautifully.


It's a lovely dress but it's a bit form fitting for my taste.  I could wear it but it's a bit snug around my arms.  It might be because the knit I chose (another gift from my cousin, who is my fabric fairy) has very little stretch, but I'm not sure that I want to just try it in a looser knit.

Now the pattern goes up to D sized cups and I am a DDD.  Instead of doing any of my normal methods for a FBA, I extrapolated from what they had as A, B, C, and D to two more cup sizes.  The dress I made is pretty much the 35 with this extrapolation.  This resulted in my having to gather the front bodice vertically and horizontally, but again I think that was from the almost complete lack of stretch in my knit.  I don't really know what fix I'm going to try for attempt number two yet, but I do like the style of the dress and I do want to make myself one.

My mom was visiting today and this dress became instantly hers.  It's a little roomy in the bodice, but when I tried to take that room out, the back became tight on her so it remains just a little roomy in the bodice.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kimberly, thanks for stopping by my blog - and reading it from the beginning!!!! Even I can't remember what I wrote. I know I had just started sewing. Thanks also for the lists of plus sized blogs. Great reference.

    Your dress is a great first edition to be made even better with a bit of ease. Great that it found a home with your mother. Looking forward to seeing version 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually enjoyed reading about your sewing journey a lot. I'm constantly adding to the plus sized list as I find new blogs. Yours is my most recent add.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I think this looks terrific on you! I understand what you're saying about the sleeve fit though -- if that part isn't comfortable then the make becomes unwearable. Since the sleeve binding is designed to be cut on the straight grain (for the contrast stripe effect), I would definitely cut it cross-grain if you need a little more stretch there. I second what BeaJay says -- adding a bit of overall ease according to your preference should do the trick. Having said that, a stretchy knit sometimes makes a boatload of difference too! I'm looking forward to seeing your next version. Thanks for the link love. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My next edition is already cut out and it in an ITY knit and with the front bodice and waist piece in size 40, so I'm hopeful that that will make the difference.

      Delete
  3. This looks great! Susan is right about the sleeve binding. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm loving this pattern. I'm currently sewing version 6 already.

      Delete