Friday, May 17, 2013

Tiramisu - Version 4

I decided to try this as a maxi dress.  The fabric that I choose wasn't long enough to put all of the 15 inches extra of the length into the skirt so I put some of it into the waist.  This didn't work perfectly because a) the ITY fabric I used was heavier than the other one and pulled all the parts of the dress down, b) the pockets are really far down on my hips (I'll likely go back and serge them off because they hang slightly funny from there position and they are too low to use anyway), and c) I'm so short waisted that the extra length draws some attention to some of the weirdness of my shape.  I still like it and have little doubt that I will wear it, but I'm not overwhelmed with happiness over it, like I was with version 2.




Now that I'm taking better pictures I'm noticing that the fact that I have one hip bone higher than the other and turned out is way more noticeable to other people than I ever knew.  I've always walked a little funny and when I was little, they discovered that my whole right leg is situated oddly - higher and turned out - but it never occurred to me that you could actually see this difference from the back.  I'm surprised I was never teased about it.

My bear cub is sick and my mom took the other two girls, so I've had some time to sew.  I actually have four other Tiramisu dresses already cut out.  Have I mentioned yet that I love this pattern?

4 comments:

  1. I would never have noticed what you're saying about your hip at all -- after you mentioned it, I looked back at the pics and I can see that it's a little higher but I can't see the turn out. A lot of people have one higher, I think -- either they were born that way or the way they've stood has made it that way. :) I want to make a maxi version too. You're going to catch Gillian (Crafting a Rainbow) soon -- I think she's made 9. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I'll need two more to have 10. I should have taken advantage of the 40% off at fabricmartfabrics.com on knits that ended yesterday. She may have to stay ahead of me a bit longer as I think I'll be returning to my list after I finish the 8. I think even without knowing that someone out there has 9 done that I would be looking for fabrics to make more anyway.

      If you do a Maxi, make sure to get a lot longer length of fabric because the adding to the waist throws off the perfection of the pattern (though I do think it makes me look taller).

      Delete
  2. You are pumping them out.... and another 4 to come. Sometimes lengthening a pattern doesn't work out as well as a pattern drafted to be long - and fabric certainly does have an impact. I do like your dress and fabric. I think your idea of serging off the pockets is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love pockets, but they don't really add anything if they aren't usable.

      Delete